Thursday, March 18, 2021

Jenny & Alfred

 One of the most fun parts of getting a box with jumbled photos is figuring out who the people are. Below is a photo whose subjects are probably Alfred and Jenny Sandner Naser on their 40th wedding anniversary (?). 














Let's assume for now that the subjects are Jenny and Alfred. Here's what I know about them. 

The source for the info below was my grandmother.

Jenny was born October 26, 1883, in Zwickau, Saxony, Germany. Jenny was the third child, second daughter of Albin and Ernestine Unger Sandner. Jenny remained behind in Zwickau when the rest of the family emigrated to the U.S. in 1892. That means she was just nine when her entire family left! 

Why did she stay behind? Where and with whom did she live? Mysteries abound.

The picture above is dated about 1966, if my rusty German is correct. This means that she married Alfred about 1926. They were together during World War II and while behind the Iron Curtain. 

My family tree says that Jenny died on April 10, 1971, but there is no source listed. Dang. Obviously this info was recorded at the beginning of my genealogy journey, when I wasn't as careful about listing sources. Another mystery. 

This is what I think I know about Alfred: he was alive in 1966. He married Jenny. He lived in Zwickau. One of the jumble photos maybe shows him as a soldier. What job did he work at? What did he do during World War II? What job did he work at when East Germany was divided off from West Germany? More mysteries.

Other photos from the jumble prove that Alfred and Jenny had a daughter or granddaughter named Kathe. Don't know which yet. She wrote several of the jumble postcards that haven't been translated. Hope to figure out her relationship soon.  (Mystery!)

Jenny resembles my grandmother so much! Same cheekbones, same nose, which they inherited from mother Ernestine. 

That's about all I have discovered from the front of this photo so far. Next, a look at the back and what it can tell us about Jenny and Alfred. 

Solving mysteries is my game!











No comments:

Post a Comment